Perfect for fall and to make your breakfast a little healthier than it would otherwise be! I’ll put the basics below but I encourage you to use your favorite ingredients to customize it how you want! I cooked a ton at once so I can eat it for days, so this recipe yields 4-5 full servings.
- Pour 3 cups steel cut oatmeal (can use more if you want more servings) into a rice cooker (with one cup oats to one cup water ratio).
- Peel 2 or 3 (3 would be super carroty) carrots and shred them either with your peeler, a cheese grater, or by pureeing in a food processor or blender. Add carrots to rice cooker with a little extra water. Cook. (Cook oats & carrots on stovetop if you don’t have rice cooker)
- After the oats and carrots are thoroughly cooked, dump it all into a mixing bowl. From there, stir in any of the following for sweetness and enhanced taste and nutrition:
– Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, etc.
– Seeds: ground flax seed, chia seeds, etc.
– 1/2 can of pumpkin or sweet potato puree
– 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce (for sweetness or flavor)
– Shredded coconut
– Dried fruit (dried cranberries would be good, or golden raisins for genuine carrot-cakey-ness)
– Chopped nuts, especially walnuts taste great
Serve with sweetener and milk of your choice!